Thursday, August 10, 2017

Come on Ladies Now Let's Get in Election

I know, I know. We just got done with the infernal 2016 election. But 2018 is just around the corner and our so-called president has never stopped holding campaign rallies. So, you know, why not start this coming election season off here with someone awesome instead. You may have seen Ret. Lt. Col. Amy McGrath’s campaign announcement already. Even so, it’s worth another look. Because, dang, is this lady impressive. She is the first female Marine to fly a combat mission in an F/A-18 fighter jet. And, yes, I know – we all got that ping while watching the commercial. But I guess the bomber jacket and short hair throws off our collective gaydar because that is definitely her husband and kids at the end (though, you know, there’s also a “B” in LGBT out there – just sayin’).

The one thing I can begrudgingly credit Trump with (though, of course, he had nothing to do with it happening except being a horrible garbage person), is that it has encouraged thousands upon thousands upon thousands of women to run for office. According to Emily’s List, 11,000 women have signed on since his inauguration. Though, I think a good chunk of that credit, possibly even more, should also go to Hillary. I mean, she did win by 3 millions votes, so there’s that.

Recently I also found out that one of my good childhood friends is running for congress in my home state. She was always so intelligent and so together, she is exactly the kind of person we want in government. I often marvel at the seemingly endless supply of mediocre and plain-old stupid straight white men who end up in office. People who don’t understand basic science or simple economics or have ever read the Constitution (cough, Trump, cough). Like, come on America. We can do so much better. So please, run for office, smart people. A grateful nation can’t wait to vote for you. Well, at least the Democrats can’t wait. The Republicans can’t wait to vote for more body slammers and pussy grabbers. Well, they can keep ’em. We’ve got a fighter pilot.

5 comments:

Karen said...

All politicians are self serving crooks. They can sit in Congress 50 years. What a joke. They pander to the special interests. The entire system is broken. Glad I didn't even vote in the last election.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Good luck to your childhood friend!

Anonymous said...

An apathetic electorate is a key reason the system is broken

Anonymous said...

If you don't vote, you shouldn't complain. Apathy is no excuse, it let's evil run rampant.

Karen said...

I'm not complaining. In resigned to the fact that none of these politicians affect my life. Only I can make a positive change. Waiting around for a politician to do it is fruitless.